Transform your body and health for life through easy everyday wellness
HOT TOWEL SCRUB / Dry Brushing
Body scrubbing can be done before or after your bath or shower, or anytime during the day. All you need is a sink with hot water, and a medium-sized cotton washcloth.
For the maximum effect, scrub your body twice a day: once in the morning and once again in the evening. Scrub for two to 20 minutes, depending on the amount of time you have. The process of the hot towel scrub has a deeper physical, mental, and emotional effect when done at the sink as opposed to in the shower.
DIRECTIONS FOR TOWEL SCRUB
- Turn on the hot water and fill the sink.
- Hold the towel at both ends and place in the hot water.
- Wring out the towel.
- While the towel is still hot and steamy, begin to scrub the skin gently.
- Do one section of the body at a time: for example, begin with the hands and fingers.
- Then work your way up the arms to the shoulders, neck and face, then down to the chest, upper back, abdomen, lower back, buttocks, legs, feet, and toes.
- Scrub until the skin becomes slightly pink or until each part becomes warm.
- Reheat the towel often by dipping it in the sink of hot water after scrubbing each body section, or as soon as the towel starts to cool.
- Reduces muscle tension
- Reenergizes in the morning and deeply relaxes at night
- Opens the pores to release stored toxins
- Softens deposits of hard fat below the skin and prepares them for discharge
- Allows excess fat, mucus, cellulite, and toxins to actively discharge to the surface rather than to accumulate around deeper vital organs
- Relieves stress through meditative action of rubbing the skin
- Calms the mind
- Promotes circulation
- Activates the lymphatic system, especially when scrubbing the
underarms and groin
- Easy massage and deep self-care
- Can be a sacred moment in your day, especially if done with candlelight and a drop or two of essential oil, such as lavender
- Creates a profound and loving relationship with the body, especially parts not often shown care, and especially for a person with body image problems
- Spreads energy through the chakras
How to Dry Brush your Body
To do this, you will need a natural bristle brush, preferably one not too stiff or rough (which can be purchased here or at The Healing Sanctuary online and in the office).
Start at your left foot and work up the body in short then long strokes towards your heart. You can follow this up with small circles following the same path. Then follow up with the right side. Be sure to cover the whole body, but skip the face and the breasts. Do not feel like you need to spend a tremendous amount of time on this, 2–3 minutes prior to your shower is fine. This is THE foundation piece to any good detox protocol.
Dry Brushing 101
What it is can what it can do for you.
- It energizes your body’s natural detoxification systems creating movement
- Assists in breaking up cellulite…yes really!
- Exfoliate & detox the skin
- Improve Organ function
- Higher energy levels
- Activates your skins natural oils making your skin softer
- Stimulates circulation
- Strengthens the immune system
Dry brushing is one of best ways to stimulate your body’s natural cleaning and immune system. It assists the lymph nodes in keeping blood and other vital tissues detoxified, and moving. Most importantly it is an easy, fantastic, and inexpensive way to transform your body and health for life just a few short minutes a day!
To supercharge this follow with a detox sea salt body scrub, or our Body Detox starter pack!